Monday, September 28, 2015

National Quartet Convention 2015 - Monday Night Recap

I got to watch the webcast in its entirety tonight from the Mylon Hayes Family to the last shout. I have to say overall, I had no issues as in years past. There were a few pauses and hiccups with the webcast during the night, but nothing major at all!

The Mylon Hayes Family got the night started. I was so glad this family got a full set this year! They had a strong set to start the night with two great hymns, "Stepping in the Light" and "What a Day That Will Be."

From the looks of the live streaming, The Old Paths got the first standing ovation of the night with "I Bowed on my Knees." They had a great set! Quartets overall were on fire tonight! It was great hearing the new lineup of Kingdom Heirs with Brian Alvey. Gold City pulled out a couple of older songs including "How Deep Is the Water!" Tribute also had a great set! I'll be honest "Oh What a Savior" is a great song, but seriously overdone in my opinion. That being said, Tribute featured Riley Harrison Clark on the song, and wow! Loved his version! Triumphant was the last quartet to take the stage and had a solid set. Loved hearing Clayton on "Welcome To Heaven."

I think the moment of the night though belonged to Karen Peck and New River. Their set was incredible featuring their new singer Ricky Braddy on an a cappella version of "Were You There." Even though he's sung on large platforms before, major kudos for it being his first time at NQC and singing a song a capella solo. They played an emotional video about Rickey Gooch's battle with cancer and harsh treatment he went through this year. The end of the video talked about Rickey drawing strength from lines of his favorite song. The song was "My God Will Always Be Enough." After the video, Karen sang the song. Beautiful, touching moment!!

The Hoppers had one of the strongest sets of the night, but had a different start with Karlye singing "I Am a Promise." I'm not typically a fan of the novelty kids songs, but I have to say I liked her jazzed up version of the song. It was good hearing the Hopper Brothers again on "Can't Give Up on God." Kim mentioned that this was the fifth anniversary of her brother Tony's passing before she sang "Grace Will Always Be Greater Than Sin." They paid tribute to the Hoppers at the end of the night and ended with "Shoutin' Time." Triumphant and Wilburn and Wilburn joined the Hoppers on stage for the finale. 


Highlights of the Night - 
  • "The Love of God" - Jim Brady Trio
  • "I Bowed on my Knees and Cried Holy" - The Old Paths
  • "Can't Give Up on God" - Hopper Brothers 2.0
  • "Grace Will Always Be Greater Than Sin" - The Hoppers
  • "My God Will Always Be Enough" - Karen Peck and New River
  • "Jesus Loves You" - Jeff and Sheri Easter
  • "The Old Rugged Cross Made the Difference" - Wilburn and Wilburn
  • "Welcome to Heaven" - Triumphant Quartet
  • "Oh What a Savior" - Tribute Quartet
  • "Shoutin' Time" - Hoppers (with friends Triumphant and Wilburn and Wilburn)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!