Sunday, September 1, 2013

Winding Down and Wearing Out - Day 9 of Southern Gospel Picnic Recap

The festival is winding down with only two full days left. And we are wearing out! If you read my post from yesterday, you can tell I'm getting worn out when I say that I've seen a ghost! Haha! (Thanks to those who caught my mistake, I think it's been fixed now.)

I made it out to see Guy Penrod this afternoon and then Triumphant Quartet tonight.

I've never heard Guy Penrod sing live but I had seen him in person before. Last December, I was at Silver Dollar City with my family and noticed several television cameras and crew walk by. Several of us were wondering what was going on. Honestly, we had heard the Duggar Family was on park so I expected to count 19 kids around the Christmas tree. But then someone who came from the area they were filming said they thought the man was on the Gaithers. Well, I for sure had to check it out then! And yes, it was Guy Penrod. He was there filming a Christmas special with his family, so there were still plenty of kids to count! :)

We got at the park in time to see him at 2 p.m. but the show was full! So we waited for the 3 p.m. show. He sang mostly hymns from his latest recording which was good! He sang classics like "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms," "He Hideth My Soul," "The Old Rugged Cross" and "Nothing But the Blood."

He sang a precious love song that I think is called "That Will Never Grow Old, Even If We Do." Then closed the show with "Don't Worry About Nothing, Pray About Everything."

And the surprise of the afternoon had to be Kevin Williams accompanying him on guitar!

Then, we saw Triumphant Quartet tonight. It's always good to see those guys, one of the most consistent groups in the industry. 

They sang a really good mix of their most well-known songs along with new ones. They sang "Take It From Me Meshach" and "Because He Loved Me," which are both favorites from their latest project.

Jeff Stice seemed to be featured more tonight. He played several songs solo on the piano, but the highlight had to be the "Hallelujah Chorus." A guy behind me made the comment that that was as good as it gets and I couldn't agree more!

They did a song that featured of medley of several classic songs, one of them being "Daddy Sang Bass." They went into the audience to get people to sing the Daddy and Momma parts. Well, when Eric held the microphone up to one guy for "Daddy Sang Bass," he started singing "Amazing Grace!" LOL!!

They also sang several of the requested songs like "Somebody Died for Me," "Love Came Calling" and "He Is," which they closed the first half with and was definitely a standout moment of the night! 

And it wouldn't be a Triumphant Quartet concert without "The Old White Flag." I love seeing a crowd of around 5,000 people all getting into and waving handkerchiefs, napkins and even a trash bag!! 

Even though things are winding down, I'm still ready to see the great groups scheduled for Sunday and Monday! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!