Tuesday, September 10, 2013

NQC 2013 - Night 1 Highlights

The first night of the 2013 National Quartet Convention is in the books! I was able to catch most of the webcast tonight. I rushed home from work to pull up the webcast only to find that I couldn't. And apparently no one else could either. Twitter was completely buzzing with people having issues. Thankfully they did get it resolved, but mine was pretty intermittent throughout the night. I didn't lose it for very long each time, but every couple of minutes there would be a hiccup. Hopefully, it was just a night one issue and the rest of the week will be better. The webcast finally came up for me right before the Browns took the stage.

Ok, so standout things for me during night one -

  • I liked the Sneed Family's set, especially "Hallelujah Square." That was the definite highlight for me!
  • Triumphant Quartet had the first solid set of the night for me. I thought it was interesting that they chose to open with Jeff Stice playing the piano. I loved hearing them sing "He Is," but also thought it was an interesting choice given the length of the song. But from beginning to end, their set was strong!!
  • The webcast seemed to give me more issues during the Collingsworth Family's set, which I did not like. It did stay on though through all of their last song, "The Blood of Jesus," which was amazing!
  • The Hoppers started their set without Claude. Dean announced that he didn't know where his dad was. During the second song, "Yahweh" he came up on stage. The funny part to me was that he seemed to appear (at least on the webcast) as soon as they started singing "He arose" in the song! Claude blamed his tardiness on Les Beasley, saying that he wouldn't quit talking to him. They also had a strong set, but it was kinda overshadowed by the fact that Claude was missing for part of it!
  • Greater Vision also had a strong set, but the highlight was Chris Allman singing "I Know a Man Who Can." He absolutely nails this every time! Love to hear him sing this song!
  • The Booth Brothers had the last set before the finale. The highlight of their set for me was "In Christ Alone." Love the arrangement they do of this song! Chris Allman joined them at the end for "Still Feelin' Fine," and Rodney Griffin did as well, providing comic relief as he did last year! :)
  • I like the Penny Loafers with the a cappella moments. They do a great job, but personally I miss Sisters and preferred them.

Night one had some great moments and strong sets, but nothing that really stood head and shoulders above the rest. What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!