Saturday, September 3, 2016

Feeling Happy on Day 9 - Silver Dollar City's Southern Gospel Picnic 2016

It's Day 9 of Silver Dollar City's Southern Gospel Picnic, and things are winding down. And as much as I love this, I am wearing out. I still managed to see six groups today, three trios, a family group and two quartets.

I'm sorry that I feel like my recaps are getting shorter and shorter, but here is how my day went -


Greater Vision


My day began at the park at the 12:30 p.m. Greater Vision show. They started with the fan favorite "My Name Is Lazarus."

They also sang a few newer ones like "The Blood Hasn't Ever Changed," "I Do Know" and "Put Out the Fire."

Gerald said he had some requests to play the piano so he accompanied Chris as he sang "Like I Wish I'd Lived in the Past," such a great song! They ended the set with "When They Ring the Bells of Heaven."


Taylors


This was my first time seeing the group since Leslie left earlier this year. They opened with their single, "He Won't Fail You." Loved hearing this one live. Chris was featured on another one from their latest release, "Somebody's Praying."

They sang a few familiar favorites like "Joy Bells" and "My, My, My." They also sang a couple of classics, "Victory in Jesus," where they had the audience join in, and "I Believe in a Hill Called Mt. Calvary," love their version of this song!

They ended with "We Are Not Ashamed," such a powerful song!


Goulds


From the Taylors, I went to see the second family group of the day, The Goulds. This family is from the Joplin, Missouri area so not far from Silver Dollar City. They opened with "Bigger Than Any Mountain" and then sang "Glory Hallelujah Song."

Kelsey and Kristen sang "This Is the Stuff" accompanied by their dad on guitar. This is a song made popular by contemporary artist Francesca Battestelli. It's a great song about how God can be in the little interruptions in our lives.

They sang a few hymns, "In the Sweet By and By" and "At Calvary," which they did a cappella. Tim told Kristen to pick a note and start it. He joked that when he told her to do that he could either end up like J.D. Sumner or Ernie Haase. He sounded just like Tim Gould this time! :)


Downing Family


The Downing Family is from Oklahoma. I think I remember seeing them a few years ago at Silver Dollar City. They have a more bluegrass sound to them and use all live instruments on stage.

They opened with "The Grass Will Be Greener." They then let the next generation of their family come up and sing "He Holds Me in His Hands."

They sang a song made popular by the Isaacs, "If That Don't Make You Wanna Go." One of the daughters writes a lot of their music. She wrote a song from the viewpoint of the child who died as a baby about growing up in Heaven, such a beautiful, touching song!

They ended their set with "Walk the Sea With Me."


New South

New South was awarded Branson's favorite gospel group last year. This quartet performs nightly at the Grand Country Music Hall. You might recognize of their quartet members, David Ragan, who has sung with a few gospel groups. They opened with "Riding High."

They talked about the history of the Foggy River Boys in Branson and paid tribute to them with a few songs, "Low Down Chariot" and "Glory Road."

They brought out their comedian from the show, Jamie Hagee, who did entertain at Silver Dollar City for a number of years. He was featured on "By the Time."

They sang a few more classics like "The Lighthouse," "Getting Ready to Leave This World" and "Just a Little Talk With Jesus."


Ernie Haase and Signature Sound

Last year was my first time seeing this group live in person. They sang mostly songs from their recent hymns CD and Happy People.


They opened with "One of These Mornings" and then Devin was featured on "He Hideth My Soul."

They sang "Noah Found Grace in the Eyes of the Lord," which is always a fun one to hear them sing live!

But I loved hearing all the hymns that they sang from their Fanny Crosby hymn sing! Paul and Ernie were featured on "Blessed Assurance," one of my all-time favorite hymns. They also sang "Near the Cross," "Redeemed" and "I Am Thine Oh Lord."

It wouldn't be a night with EHSS without "Oh What a Savior," which they did right before intermission and had the crowd on its feet. They also sang a few Cathedrals classics like "Step Into the Water." Once they started "Step Into the Water," the audience immediately started clapping.

They featured piano player Tyler Vestal not only with an instrumental but also turned him loose to sing "Who Am I." He did an outstanding job!

It was also good to hear "A Soldier Fighting to Go Home" and "Jesus Changed Everything Live."

They ended with a reprise of "Happy People" that they sang in the first half.

Three more days of the festival left!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!