Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Gospel Music Hymn Sing Recap

It's been a busy past few weeks, and I've missed being able to update as regularly. I have a few concert recaps still pending, but some will have to be saved for my top 10 moments of the year. I can't believe it's already that time!
Wendy Hayes, Melissa Brady and TaRanda Greene

On November 21, I got the chance to go to Memphis, Tennessee for Gerald Wolfe's Gospel Music Hymn Sing. I had been looking forward to this for quite some time! My church sings a great mix of hymns and praise songs each Sunday. However, after growing up on strictly hymns I definitely miss not singing more of them. It was a great night to get to see some of my favorite artists and sing along with them!Even though the night was about hymn singing and the audience being as much a part of the concert as the artists, I got to hear a lot of artists/ groups for the first time! It was my first chance to see the Mylon Hayes Family live. I was glad to see this family part of this tour event, and they are such a wonderful family and great singers. It was also a chance to hear the new trio of TaRanda Greene, Doug Anderson and Jody McBrayer live. They did not disappoint either!! Even though I had heard Jim and Melissa Brady together before, this was also my first time to hear the Jim Brady Trio.
Gerald Wolfe, Randy Byrd, Pat Barker and Conner Hayes

Here were the highlights of the night!

Mark Trammell - Blake Buffin, Nick Trammell,
Mark Trammell and Randy Byrd
  • "Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus" - This is my favorite hymn, so no big surprise that it made my list. Wendy Hayes, Jim Brady and Blake Buffin were featured on the verses. 
  • "Just a Little Talk with Jesus" - This one featured all the bass singers - Randy Byrd, Pat Barker and Conner Hayes, who definitely held his own with the two more experienced singers!
  • "Holy, Holy, Holy" - This was a sweet moment of worship as the congregation sang.
  • "Love of God" - Loved this song! Gerald had each of the writers in the group take a verse - Jim Brady, Rodney Griffin and Chris Allman (video featured below)
  • "Wonderful Grace of Jesus" - The 2nd Half Quartet sang this song in the style of the Cathedrals
  • "Rock of Ages" - The Mylon Hayes Family sang this one and did the shape notes!
  • "Near the Cross" - This song was toward the end featuring Melissa Brady and Gerald Wolfe.
If you get a chance to go to one of the Hymn Sings I highly recommend it! I know they'll be doing more touring in the spring. It's a chance to not only hear some of the top voices in the industry, but you get to sing along with them! Hymns are becoming less the norm in worship services, so it was special to have an entire night dedicated to celebrating that heritage and worshipping our Savior!



Here's a Facebook exclusive Fun Clip Friday from the Gospel Music Hymn Sing in Memphis!
Posted by Lauren's Southern Gospel Blog on Friday, December 4, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!