I do love the older songs and hymns and enjoy hearing them in a live setting. It's interesting not only the artists lately who have gone back and covered older songs, but also artists who have covered songs previously sung by secular artists. The songs definitely have a positive message and apply to Christians, but it's different to see them covered as a southern gospel song. Some of them even fit better as a gospel song than in the original genre. And honestly, some secular songs that are covered I don't always realize it was sung by a secular artist first.
A full list of these might be more comprehensive that I bargain for, but I think it would interesting to see how many we can name.
To get you started, here are a few secular artists from various genres who have had songs covered by southern gospel artists, see if you can name the song and the southern gospel artist who sang it! And feel free to comment with any more that come to mind!
- Jason Mraz - "Living in the Moment" - Beyond the Ashes
- Jonas Brothers - "Time for Me to Fly" - Jeff and Sheri Easter
- John Mayer - "Love Is a Verb" - Devin McGlamery
- Diana Ross - "Reach Out" - Karen Peck & New River
- Lady Antebellum - "I Run to You" - Crawford Crossing
- Reba McEntire
- Johnny Nash
- Leeann Womack
- Dolly Parton