Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Names You Might Not Know Yet - The Old Paths Quartet

The Old Paths have just made the top five nominations in the Singing News Fan Awards. I had the chance to see the Old Paths last year in Branson at Silver Dollar City's Southern Gospel Picnic. The Old Paths' Jeremy Peace was willing to answer a few questions for me so you can get to know him and the group a little bit better!


Question: When did you become interested in singing Southern Gospel music? What are some of your earliest memories of Southern Gospel?

Jeremy Peace: My grandfather sang bass with a group for 30 years, so I was sorta "born" into it. It was some of the first music I heard, and I was raised around. I've loved it and have been interested in it for as long as I can remember. Some of my earliest memories are of watching my granddad sing, and going to my first southern gospel concert to see the Kingsmen Quartet. I was really hooked after that!


Question: How did you get started as the Old Paths? How long have you been singing?

Jeremy: I met the Old Paths back when I sang tenor with the Kingsmen, almost 7 years ago. Our groups sang together a couple of times, and I became friends with them then. A few months after I left the Kingsmen, I got a call from them asking if I were interested. Seven years later, I guess I'm still interested! I've been singing since I was 4, and started playing bass guitar with a group when I was 7.


Question: How did you come up with the name the Old Paths?

Jeremy: The group name comes from the verse Jeremiah 6:16 - Seek ye the Old Paths...


Question: Do you have a favorite song that you sing? And what song from another group has ministered to you?

Jeremy: My favorite song to sing is "Oh What A Savior."  I used to not care for it, as I've sang it all my life, but since my salvation in 2008, and the Lord calling me to preach, I can understand the need for a Savior to come to earth and sacrifice his life for mankind. He's been my Savior when I didn't deserve one. As far as another group's song that's ministered to me, it would be "He Didn't Throw The Clay Away," by the Lesters. It's my testimony song.


Question: What artists have been your biggest influence (musically and/or personally)?

Jeremy: Tim Surrett was my hero growing up, as his voice was unique and he sang with my favorite group, the Kingsmen. When I joined them, Tim had come back and was singing lead. Getting to stand beside him was a dream come true. And what was better was his influence on my life. I watched him from the bus one hot day in California as he stood in a parking lot for more than three hours, witnessing to a lost woman and leading her to Christ. I'll never forget that.


Question: What has been your favorite memory so far in your ministry? Do you have a particular concert that stands out?

Jeremy: My favorite memory is the night we gave an altar call and a family of 5 atheists came to the alter and received Christ as their Lord. Now that was a service to remember! A funny concert that stands out was one just last weekend. I've been doing this for a lot of years, but this night was one I'll never forget. The church had left their sound system on, and it was conflicting with our wireless mics. We went a whole set with the most gut wrenching noise bursting out of the speakers. We couldn't figure out what was going on. Everytime it would happen, the people would jump out of their seats. They began to look back at our FOH engineer with mean looks on their face as he helplessly tried to figure out the issue. Finally our M.C. stopped the service and asked for a break so we could fix it. It was embarrassing at first, but then I couldn't help but crack up everytime I saw the crowds reaction to the noise. Again, it ended up being the church's issue and the music minister opened the second half with an apology for it being their fault. We then gave the people a concert again, interference free.



Question: What new things are coming up for the Old Paths?

Jeremy: Its been an amazing year for The Old Paths. We've experienced two #1 songs, "Battlestand" and "Gods Great", in the Official Southern Gospel Chart within a 6 month time span. We had two songs in the Top 40 songs of the year of 2012, "The I Of The Storm," and "Battlestand." We were featured on the cover the Singing News Magazine in February, and currently have the #1 New Release and #1 DJ Hit Pick with the song, "He's My Song." We are making trips to Silver Dollar City and Dollywood for their Sothern Gospel festivals, the Memphis Quartet Show, The James D. Vaughn Festival, Bill Baileys' Winterfest, and the Wednesday Quartet Night at The National Quartet Convention. We signed with Crossroads Music, under their Sunlite Record Label. We were nominated in the Top Ten Singing News Fans Award categories as Quartet and New Quartet of the Year, Jeremy Peace as Tenor of the Year, Daniel Ashmore as New Artist of the Year, Album of the Year, Right Now, and currently in the Top 5 for New Quartet of the Year. In saying all of that, there are still a lot more exciting things on the way from the Old Paths Quartet. Our new CD, These Truths, is due out in August, with some of the greatest songs we have ever recorded. We filmed a new DVD, "Center Stage", in 1080p HD, to be released next month. The film is currently being broadcasted around the world, and getting great response. Emails are pouring in everywhere from fans requesting more of our music. Though all these things mentioned are exciting and humbling, the most anticipated news is the expectation for lives to be changed and hearts to turn away from sin and towards the Son of God.


Learn more about Old Paths by going to http://www.theoldpathsonline.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!