Thursday, May 30, 2013

Love Is a Verb - Devin McGlamery - CD Review

I've been a fan of Devin McGlamery since I saw him with Karen Peck and New River for the first time. He has a great soulful tone that suited him well with them and now with Ernie Haase and Signature Sound.

Devin released Love Is a Verb on May 21, 2013. I was anxious to hear his first solo recording, and it didn't disappoint. It has a  little something for everyone with a variety of musical styles.

"Love is a Verb" is the title track of the project, and he gets some help from Beyond the Ashes on this one. This song for me was the perfect choice as a title track and really encompasses the other songs on the album. It's definitely one of my favorites!

Beyond the Ashes are not the only guests on this project. Karen Peck and New River lend its vocals to "While I Still Can" a song that Devin was featured on and recorded while with the group. I've always really liked this song, and was happy he chose to recut it and include it on this project.

Dailey and Vincent join Devin on "From My Rags to His Riches." The song doesn't have a bluegrass feel that you would expect when you see Dailey and Vincent joined him, but has more of a country flavor.

Russ Taff joined Devin on "Up Above My Head (I Hear Music in the Air)" that makes for a fun duet! The introduction of this song is fun with Devin and Russ talking. This a fun uptempo song with comments throughout from Devin and Russ!

"That's Why" is a song that Devin was featured on with Ernie Haase and Signature Sound's latest project Glorious Day. I really liked that Devin included several different people from the industry and that he worked with on this project including his current group. Even though this song is such a recent song that was also just released on another project, I think it was fitting here.

Another standout track for me is "As Long as You Walk With Me." It's a great ballad that has a great message. "Waiting at Home" has a similar feel and sound.

I also really loved that Devin went back and did a classic like "When He Was on the Cross." This is one of the standout vocally for me, even though this song has been done so much. He slows it down and really communicates the lyrics beautifully!

Album rating - 4 stars - I love the variety that the album has. It really has something for everyone. I also love that there is a clear theme throughout the project of "Love Is a Verb." You won't be disappointed with this project!

Song List:

1. "Love Is a Verb"
2. "Hold On, Help Is on the Way"
3. "From My Rags to His Riches"
4. "I Will"
5. "I Tasted Your Water"
6. "While I Still Can"
7. "As Long As You Walk With Me"
8. "Waiting at Home"
9. "When He Was on the Cross"
10. "That's Why"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!