Thursday, June 13, 2013

Oh The Thought That Jesus Loves Me - When Lyrics Speak

Having grown up in church and in a Christian home, there are certain things that I grew up knowing. God is all powerful and always has been. Jesus is God's Son, and He was perfect. He died on the cross for us. He loves me. I don't ever remember learning them, but I'm sure they were ingrained in me at a very young age. However, as I've gotten older, the more I realize that can tend to take these truths for granted, especially that Jesus loves me.

" ... I pray that you, being rooted and firmly established in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the length and width, height and depth of God’s love, and to know the Messiah’s love that surpasses knowledge, so you may be filled with all the fullness of God ..." - Ephesians 3:17-19

O the thought that Jesus loves me! When you grow up singing the song "Jesus Loves Me," sometimes it becomes just mundane, and you don't think about all that means. However, I love the verse in Ephesians that says that his love surpasses knowledge. His love for us is incomprehensible. And honestly when I think about how much I fail Him daily and how He not only knew that but also the times in the future that I don't know about yet, it is inconceivable that He still chose to love me and to prove that love for me on the cross.

I love the song "O The Thought That Jesus Loves Me." The thought that Jesus loves me is more that I can understand when I really stop to dwell on it. The lyrics capture beautifully not only the assurance that it gives us as believers but also how hard that concept of His love can be to grasp.

His love changes us. It can ease our minds when we are unsure. In times when we feel far away from people or things don't go our way, His love is always there. And His love never fails. When we stop to think about the power of His love, it should change us, the way we view life and our circumstances.

Nothing can separate us from His love. No matter the sins we have committed or will commit, He knows it all and still chooses love. When we feel far away because of sin, He is steadfast in His love for us. When I think about my own love for others and how it can waver and I can pull away if there's been a rift between us. God never pulls away.  

No love we have on earth can ever compare to the love of God. We only know love because He first loved us (1 John 3:16). So today, I stop and reflect on the magnitude of the thought that Jesus loves me!

2 comments:

  1. The Collingsworth Family also sings this song beautifully. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs4xRLdWPKU

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!