Monday, October 5, 2015

What Is Southern Gospel?

I had an interesting conversation with a co-worker a couple of weeks ago to inspire this post. We were sitting together eating lunch. She knew I had recently taken off work to go to Branson and asked what I did while I was there. Most people I work with have no clue that I love Southern Gospel as much as I do and have a blog. So I explained that I was there going to Silver Dollar City for a gospel music festival. She asked if it was like rock gospel music. I might have giggled a bit, said "no" and paused. How should I explain Southern Gospel?

We weren't really in a place for me to actually pull up a clip to show her. And then what group would you pull up? I was at a loss. I asked if she was familiar with the Gaithers. That was a no, and I was back to the drawing board. I made it clear that it was not rock, closer to country and traditional hymns.

I know what Southern Gospel is, but how exactly do you explain that to someone else who has no frame of reference? And there's a wide range of styles within the genre. There's a big difference between Jason Crabb, the Dixie Echoes and the Perrys. I think the National Quartet Convention was proof that it's not a quartet dominated industry, so you can't just describe it as male quartets but neither is everything exactly classified as "country gospel."

So here's my question - how do you explain Southern Gospel? I'd love to know what you would have said in my shoes!

1 comment:

  1. I've been in that spot before, trying to explain southern gospel to friends who listened to Klove and such! I believe I described it as being a genre that's close to traditional hymns and what we'd sing in our song services... But for someone with no background in gospel, I'd be stumped as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!