Thursday, October 1, 2015

National Quartet Convention 2015 - Thursday Night Recap

Tonight was by far the best night yet of NQC. There so many memorable moments from tonight, I'm going to try to narrow it the best I can. I was glad that tonight was one of the nights I got to watch all the way through.

The moment of the night definitely belonged to the Perrys. I loved hearing "Sing" from their project that releases tomorrow. Tracy was featured on an old Nelons song "Time Has Made a Change" with special guests Kelly Nelon Clark and Karen Peck Gooch. But they were not the only guests the Perrys had on stage! They started singing "I Wish I Could Have Been There" and Troy announced Loren Harris to come to the stage. He sang part of the first verse, and then passed it off to Joseph Habedank. They were all joined on stage by so many other Perrys alums including Mike Bowling, Nick Trammell, Bryan Walker, Debra Perry and Bryan Elliot had been playing piano for them the entire set. Loved the Perrys reunion that we got to see!!

Several top-notch groups went early in the night and had incredible sets like Tribute Quartet, Karen Peck and New River, the Old Paths and Greater Vision. Tribute started its set with an a cappella medley that was amazing! (Sorry I don't have a more specific name, but this was the first I'd ever heard them do this. If you know it, help me out!) Love hearing Karen sing "Pray Now!" It was a little bittersweet with this being The Old Paths last performance at NQC, but the guys really brought it tonight!

I couldn't believe that this was Gordon Mote's first time on main stage at NQC during an evening concert. He really amazes me to watch him play. Loved hearing him sing "Mercy Walked In." Also he got some help from the Voices of Lee on "Great Is Thy Faithfulness." Actually Voices of Lee made several appearances tonight. They sang with Canton Junction on "Every Hallelujah" and Lillie Knauls on "Oh Happy Day."

I thought Canton Junction had one of the strongest sets of the night. Since they don't really tour full time, it's good to hear them live (or live via webcast) when you get a chance. Also, the Mylon Hayes Family continues to impress me more and more. I like that they sang "Jesus Spoke to Me" and did the shape note singing tonight.

I'm glad the Whisnants sang a little bit of their newest single, "Worry Ends Where Faith Begins." Love that song! Then they ended with "New Day Dawning" turning it around several times and getting Mark and Nick Trammell to join in.

The night ended with a sample of the Brotherhood tour which is Ernie Haase and Signature Sound and the Booth Brothers. They had live music for most if not all of the set featuring Michael of course on drums. Loved hearing the two groups on songs like "Life Is Like a Mountain Railway" and "Home." They closed the night with the Gaither classic "He Touched Me." What a way to end the evening!!

Mark and Nick Trammell were great hosts tonight! I really like the theme that they've had this week (minus last night) of the father and sons. They all have played off each other well!

Highlights -

  • A cappella medley - Tribute Quartet 
  • "Pray Now" - Karen Peck and New River
  • "Long Live the King" - The Old Paths
  • "Wish I Coulda Been There" - The Perrys
  • "Jesus Spoke to Me" - Mylon Hayes Family
  • "Jesus Loves You"- Jeff and Sheri Easter
  • "It's Almost Over" - Mark Trammell Quartet
  • "The Cross Is Calling" - The Taylors
  • "Oh Happy Day" - Lillie Knauls
  • "Arise My Love" - Soul'd Out Quartet
  • "New Day Dawning" - The Whisnants
  • "He Touched Me" - Brotherhood (Ernie Haase and Signature Sound and the Booth Brothers)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!