Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Southern Gospel Picnic Preview 2014 - Silver Dollar City

Friday I leave for Branson for Silver Dollar City's Southern Gospel Picnic. This is my one big gospel event I get to attend each year. This year I have to miss one day, because I had a previous commitment in Arkansas next Tuesday night. But thankfully, I live close enough where I can go and come back and only have to miss a day!

There are several groups I am looking forward to seeing this year, some for the first time. Probably the part of the festival I am most excited about is the Chosen Few Reunion on Sunday, Aug. 31. Chosen Few was the house gospel group for Silver Dollar City for many years and one of my first exposures to gospel music. The group stopped touring but still does reunion events occasionally. I haven't seem them perform together in about 10 years, so this is definitely something I'm excited about.

There are a number of artists I will be able to see for the first time like the Hoskins Family, the Dunaways, the Akins, Red Roots, Aaron and Amanda Crabb and the Sneed Family. To get a list of all performers, check out silverdollarcity.com.

If you are in the area or considering attending a southern gospel event, I strongly encourage coming. It's 11 days full of gospel music with six theaters during the day and the large amphitheater at night! Duane Garren is the emcee during the day at the largest theater as well as at night. They also offer gospel cruises on the Showboat Branson Belle at noon. I'm sad to miss some of those groups on park, but it's another way to get more groups involved and offer more ways for people to enjoy this great music!

KWFC, a southern gospel radio station in Springfield, always supplies fans with fans during the first few days of the festival while supplies last. And from the looks of the weather forecast, we will need the fans this year! The fan also features a schedule on the back, so it comes in really handy. The posted a picture of the back of the fan on their Facebook earlier, so you can see a full time schedule here.

One thing that I'm also looking forward to is hymn sings. Several nights before the show starts at Echo Hollow, they are having hymn sings for 30 minutes. It's going to be a great 11 days, and I look forward to being there for 10 of them!

Anyone else going to be there? Would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!