Thursday, September 6, 2012

Final Day of Southern Gospel Picnic

Monday was the last day of the Southern Gospel Picnic at Silver Dollar City. We got the chance to see four different groups: the Browns, Allen Family, the Browders and the Isaacs.

The Browns
The Browns was another group that I was able to see for the first time live. They sang several from their most recent project, Now, including: "Now and Forevermore," "Beautiful Day," "Good Enough" and "Everywhere I Go."

The group also did a couple of instrumental songs. I really enjoyed Adam, Andrew and Michaela playing "I Sing the Mighty Power/ Canon in D" on violins. It was absolutely beautiful!

I'm a little disappointed that I never got to see Jessica and Nick with the Browns in person, only online, because their  most recent project with their addition was so strong. However, the Browns is carrying on with Shelly, Michaela, Adam and Andrew just fine! We were able to see two of their shows at Silver Dollar City, and we enjoyed both of them a lot!

The Allen Family
I had seen the Allen Family sing before but not in a concert setting. We often visit Skyline Baptist Church when we are in Branson, and this is the church that the Allen Family attends when they are in Branson during the Christmas season. We had been there to see them sing at the church before just one or two songs.

They are a very talented family! Some of the highlights for me were:

  • "In Your Love" - Beautiful song, and the oldest daughter did sign language with the song.
  • "All in the Family" - This was the second song they sang, and the two youngest sons came out to join them on this one. 
  • "The Door" - Really enjoyed this uptempo song!
  • "Jesus, What a Wonderful Child" 
  • "Turn Your Radio On" - This one features a few of the sons.


The Browders
I had not seen the Browders before until the night before in Echo Hollow. They are a great group, and I was glad I was introduced to them at the festival. I was familiar with several of their songs, but really didn't know much about the group.

Definitely the highlight for me was hearing Tommy Browder give his testimony of dealing with polio and God's miraculous working in his life. He then sang "I'm So Blessed." 

Another stand out moment for me was Sonya Browder featured on "Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus." This is my favorite hymn, and we heard several renditions of this song throughout the festival, but this one might have been my favorite!

I also really enjoyed hearing their new song, "He's Alive," which hasn't been released yet. Great song and message! They ended their last show of the day with "Praise You in This Valley." It was a sweet, very worshipful spirit that they ended on!

The Isaacs
The Isaacs have closed the festival for several years now. And they also know how to end the festival on a great note!

They sang several songs from their latest project, Why Can't We, including: "Four Men Walkin' Around," "That Is Why I Sing," "Get On Board," "Why Can't We," "Waiting in the Water" and "I'm Gonna Love You Through It." I love hearing Sonya sing the last song. It was a very sweet moment hearing her sing a song she wrote about her own mother's battle. Very few people made it through the song without getting teary-eyed. They got a standing ovation after the song.

Becky gave her testimony of God's healing and how she wrote "Waiting in the Water." I love hearing the artists share stories like this and stories behind the songs.

Right before intermission, they sang "I Will Praise Him" a cappella. I've heard them sing this a couple of times, and get chills every time. It was another standing ovation for the Isaacs.

They sang by request "I Have a Father Who Can." This has been one of my favorite Isaacs songs, but I've never heard them sing it live, so I was glad that they sang it!

They sang "He Ain't Never Done Me Nothing But Good," which is always a lot of fun. They tried to end the show on this one, but the crowd wanted one more. Normally, artists do another chorus of the song or pick another uptempo song. However, the Isaacs broke the mold. Sonya said they had a number of requests for them to sing "It Is Well." They sang the song a cappella, and they could not picked a better song to end the festival on. It was beautiful, and one of the highlights of the night.


It was an incredible 11 days, and I'm so thankful I was able to be there the entire time this year! We saw a total of 66 shows during the festival. Silver Dollar City always does such an incredible job of putting this festival on. And it's definitely amazing that a theme park allows southern gospel music to take over the park for a week and a half.

I'm already looking forward to another great time next year! They announced the dates for next year are Aug. 23 - Sept. 2, 2013. It's a great festival that you should try to attend if you can!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!