Sunday, October 2, 2016

2016 National Quartet Convention - Saturday Night Recap


The 2016 National Quartet Convention is now complete. It was a great year. I am looking forward to seeing some of the performances again on demand and also catching what I missed Friday night. Here are my thoughts and highlights from the last night of NQC -

Commentary/ Highlights -

  • It was great to see so many of the younger generation in Southern Gospel highlighted tonight. I loved what the Erwins did by having so many of them join them on stage for "I Choose to Be a Christian." It was definitely a highlight of the night. The Bowling sisters singing "At the Cross" was another incredible moment. That sister harmony cannot be beat!
  • The hour of Tribute and Triumphant Quartets were the best of the night. These two groups had the longer sets of the night. Tribute again sang a lot from their new project again. I loved hearing all the new songs; their new project is a must buy! They ended their set with Triumphant joining them on "I Remember the Day." Triumphant then did a lot of favorites and requests. They closed with "He Is," great moment!
  • Gerald Wolfe had some chest congestion so he asked Mark Trammell to join Greater Vision on stage to help him sing. During their set, he said he felt like he could sing bass like J.D. So they did the Cathedrals arrangement of "Wonderful Grace of Jesus" with him singing bass. 
  • I have to say I was expecting more during the finale. I was a little disappointed that several groups didn't come back to the stage and sing some of their hits. 
  • Voices of Lee, though not officially on the program this year, made an appearance during Gordon Mote and Mark Trammell Quartet's sets. They also sang a great arrangement of "Good, Good Father." 


Favorite Songs/ Performances of the Night -

  • "I Choose to Be a Christian" - The Erwins
  • "At the Cross" - Bowling Family (sisters)
  • "Only Jesus Can Heal This Hurting World" - Gordon Mote
  • "Holy Shore" - Perrys
  • "My Faith Still Holds" - Mark Trammell Quartet (with Voices of Lee)
  • "When the Prodigal Comes Home" - Tribute Quartet
  • "He Is" - Triumphant Quartet
  • "His Life for Mine" - The Talleys
  • "Wonderful Grace of Jesus" - Greater Vision with Mark Trammell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!