Monday, July 4, 2016

Encouragement Through Songs - Greater Vision - Concert Recap

As I made my way up down Hwy. 64 in Arkansas a few weeks ago, I was recounting the day I'd had to a friend, and I knew I needed this concert tonight. It had been one of those days, I'm sure you know what I mean. It wasn't that anything major had happened but the culmination of a lot of little things made it one of "those days." Thankfully after the Memphis Quartet Show, Greater Vision made its way to Arkansas that night, and I was very glad for the chance to be there.

Disclaimer - I'm going to try out a new format for concert recaps and focus on what I consider to be the highlights of the night.

Highlights of the night - 
Greater Vision - Gerald Wolfe, Rodney Griffin and Chris Allman

I don't care how many times I hear Chris Allman sing "I Know a Man Who Can," it's going to be a highlight for me to see it live. I love hearing him sing this song. 

One song that I really hear them sing live often is "He'll Carry Me." Such a powerful song! Gerald set up the song by talking about the movie Risen. The movie, if you haven't seen it, is the story of the resurrection of Jesus Christ from a perspective of a Roman soldier. The movie really makes you think about what events must have taken place after the resurrection. I'm so glad they chose to sing that song. It's a great reminder of Christ's sacrifice and because of that He will carry us through to eternity. Rodney wrote the song and does such a great job of communicating the lyrics and message.

Gerald included a hymn sing at the beginning of the second half singing "It Is Well." I love that they are fitting these in to their concerts.

Gerald was featured on "Until You've Known the Love of God." He talked about Paul to set up the song saying that Paul had a thorn that he fought with and begged God to remove. Gerald pointed out that the Bible never says what this was, and he said that may be to help us put whatever we struggle with in that place and help us identify. God reminded Paul through that that His grace is sufficient, and the song reminds us that God's love is all powerful.

That night of gospel music was just what I needed. The encouragement through songs is sometimes just what you need to hear, this was one of those times. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!