Monday, January 6, 2014

Ending 2013 with the Bowling Family - Concert Recap

Bowling Family - Troy Peach, Hope, Kelly and Mike Bowling
I decided to end 2013 the same way I did 2012 - with a gospel concert. This time I traveled to Natchez, Miss. to see the Bowling Family.

The concert was at Natchez Church of God where the pastor is Brian Monehan. Brian and Angela Monehan are not strangers to gospel music. They were at a church in Little Rock for many years, and I got to know them while they were there since they had several groups come to their church. It was always great to hear the different artists persuade them to get on stage and sing as well. They are extremely talented singers and songwriters. (Check out their most recent concept video.) Angela sang a new song she had written after intermission. Great song that I think was entitled "There's Hope in a Living God," but not certain. Mike also called Brian to join them on "Power in the Name of Jesus."

You can always count on one thing when seeing the Bowling Family. They are there to have church. And this night was no exception. It wasn't all about the music which was great, but it was about their testimony and what they shared between the songs as well.

Here's what they sang -
  • "As Soon as I Touch Calvary"
  • "Come Along Let's Fly"
  • "I Know Enough" - I was so glad to hear this one. It's one of my favorites from their new project!
  • "Call Me Gone" - It was good to hear Mike go back and do this Hinson classic. It's definitely my favorite of those that he does.
  • "Victory's Coming"
  • "Everything's Going to Turn Out Right" - Hope is continuing to grow as a singer each time I see her.
  • "I'm Glad I'm Saved"
  • "Accentuate the Positive" - This song was done with all three daughters, Hope, Katelanne and Gracie.
  • "Your Cries Have Awoken the Master" - I never get tired of hearing this song. It's really become the group's signature song, and each time they pour their hearts into it. Mike repeated the chorus several times. It was an incredible, worshipful moment.
  • "You Deserve the Glory" - Kelly sang this one, praise and worship style.
  • "Too Much to Gain to Lose" - Mike sang this with just John accompanying him on the piano.
  • "He Can" - Love that they have started staging this song.
  • "Just What I Need" - Another great one from their latest project that I hadn't heard live yet!
  • "That I Could Still Go Free"
  • "That's What I Miss the Most"
  • "Power in the Name of Jesus" - Brian joined them on this one, powerful moment of worship.
  • "I Surrender All" - They led the congregation in this to close the service.
Kelly talked about their bus wreck, which has become a mainstay in their concerts. She said that she would never get tired of telling how God is a God of restoration and mercy. And each time I see the pictures, I can't blame her. She said that they wouldn't be there if not for his healing touch. She was humbled when she thinks about how God spared them that day not because of anything they had done but because they are His children.

Toward the close of the service, Mike talked about how this time of year always gave more perspective into why they do what they do. It's so that people will come to know Jesus and grow closer to Him. In 2014, all of our goals should be to grow closer to Him.

At the close of the service, the focus was all about Him and what we as individuals needed to do to grow closer to the Lord. And people came down to the altar to make those commitments and decisions. It was an incredible way to end 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!