Thursday, April 25, 2013

Glorious Day - Ernie Haase and Signature Sound - CD Review

Ernie Haase and Signature Sound released Glorious Day last month. While this project wasn't exactly what I was expecting from Signature Sound, it's a solid project that full of more traditional quartet singing.

When I saw the title for the project as Glorious Day with a song of the same name, it didn't even register with me that this could be the same as the popular praise and worship song. I love the version of this song by Casting Crowns and wasn't so sure about Signature Sound's version at first, but it definitely grew on me. I'll be honest, I wasn't really aware there were other gospel/hymn versions of this song. I know, southern gospel knowledge fail on my part.

This is the first album the group has released with bass singer Paul Harkey, and it seems to me that he's featured a lot throughout the album. Harkey has solos on "Scars in the Hands of Jesus" and "Two Coats." Harkey gives me a little bit of a Josh Turner vibe on "Two Coats" which has a strong country sound.

Producer Wayne Haun lends his vocals on "When Jesus Breaks the Morning." Wayne Haun as always produces such incredible work, and this album is just another example of it.

"That's Why" is a Devin McGlamery feature that is definitely one of my favorites on the project. The song was written by the dynamic team of Ernie Haase, Wayne Haun and Joel Lindsey. It's one of four songs written by those three on the project.

Another highlight of the project has to be the live acoustic version of "Sometimes I Wonder" as the last track. I love that they chose to add a live version, and I love Doug Anderson on this, but I wish it wasn't a song that was just released on their last project.

Ernie Haase gets the feature on "While I Was a Sinner." Love the message of this song!

"Water Walking God" and "Shh, Be Still" were two other personal favorites. "Water Walking God" is a fun, upbeat quartet song. "Shh, Be Still" grabs your attention with the loud "shh" at the beginning. It starts with a slower, a cappella chorus and then adds a simple instrumental arrangement that really showcases the vocals.

Album rating - 4.25 stars - This wasn't my favorite Signature Sound project, but it's solid. The lack of new songs hurts it for me, but all songs even the remakes are strong. It's a must buy for all-male quartet fans. Even though Ernie Haase and Signature Sound is known to stretch the bounds of traditional southern gospel, this project is on the whole pretty traditional sounding with plenty of great quartet songs.


Song List:
1. When the Saints Go Marching In
2. When Jesus Breaks the Morning
3. That's Why
4. Scars in the Hands of Jesus
5. Shh, Be Still
6. Water Walking God
7. Noah Found Grace in the Eyes of the Lord
8. Two Coats
9. While I Was a Sinner
10. Glorious Day
11. Sometimes I Wonder (Live Acoustic Version)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!