Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Crossing One off the Bucket List - Gaither Homecoming Concert

I got the chance to go to a Gaither Homecoming concert on Saturday night. It was my first one ever, and something I have wanted to attend for a long time. I don't quite have a "bucket list" per se but I do have a 30 before 30 list, and this was on it!

I'm not going to have a full concert recap, but I do want to hit the high points. Sometimes with concert recaps you missing just enjoying moments because you're trying to take down notes to remember everything for later on. For the Gaither concert, I really wanted to make sure I took it all in.

During the first half, each artist/group came out and sang separately Charlotte Ritchie was first and sang "In Everything Give Thanks." I haven't seen Charlotte in concert in several years since right after she went solo, so it was good to see her live again. Great singer as always. The Nelons were next. The highlight of their set was definitely "Christ the Lord is Risen Today" a cappella. It was early in the night, but it was a song people were talking about long after the concert was over! The Nelons are one of the best in southern gospel when it comes to a capella songs.

Gene McDonald took the stage. I had never heard him live, and only seen him on the videos, so it was good to see him live. The Isaacs were right before the Vocal Band. They sang four songs, but my favorite from their set was probably "Walk On," it was one that the entire arena really got into. Going with friends who are relatively new to southern gospel and really new to the bluegrass style of southern gospel, it was funny to hear that they loved the Isaacs set and wanted to make sure they went by their table at intermission!

The arena went dark before the Vocal Band took the stage, and then you could hear Mark Lowry start with "One Voice." Great moment and entry! 

The whole Vocal Band set was incredible. They sang a lot from Pure and Simple, and I have to say the more I listen to this project, the more I love it. I loved hearing the uptempo "Rasslin' Jacob" as well as the slower "Do You Wanna Be Well" that Wes sings so smoothly!

Mark Lowry was as comedic as always. And since he is still recuperating with his leg, he was on a scooter for a lot of the set, which was pretty funny! During the second half, he was sitting down, but still had his cane, and when he got into a song instead of raising his hand, he raised the cane! Haha! Also, I had not realized until Saturday night how funny Kevin Williams is. And side not about him, when we entered the arena, he was standing out front at his table greeting people. I thought that was pretty classy and made me like him even more.

It was incredible hearing this lineup of the Vocal Band in person. I think this might be my favorite lineup of people. There was a stretch at the end of the first half where we just had church:
  • "Come to Jesus" - David Phelps
  • "Old Rugged Cross Made the Difference" - Michael English
  • "Glorious Freedom" - David started then there was the combo of David, Wes and Michael that is absolutely incredible!!
  • "Sow Mercy" - Mark Lowry
  • "He's Alive" - David then joined by Vocal Band and all artists

The second half had all artists on stage with more of the "all-sing" or "sing-along" format. I did love seeing and hearing some of the artists do their signature songs (Mark Lowry- "Mary, Did You Know?" and Michael English - "I Bowed on my Knees and Cried Holy"). I also loved seeing the Vocal Band's rendition "Jesus on the Main Line," vocally and comically! Charlotte Ritchie was featured a lot more in the second half. I wondered if this was because some of the other females had been battling illness or if she was normally featured that much. Regardless, she was amazing.

It was such a great night! There were so many memorable moments from the night. The level of talent that took the stage that night was simply incredible, from singers to musicians. It was a night to remember, and one to cross off the list!


2 comments:

  1. Nice review, but what about Wes, my personal favorite? He usually sings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wes was great! Love his smooth voice, didn't mean to leave him out. I might have to fix that! :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!