Monday, May 21, 2012

The Talleys - Love Won CD Review

I was very anxious to hear the Talleys new project Love Won with the addition of Brian Alvey. This album did not disappoint! This CD has 13 songs which is more than most. The song selection overall is very strong, here's a breakdown:

"We Want to Thank You" - The song is a worshipful number written by Brian Alvey. The blend of their voices on this song is really great and really sets the tone for the entire album.

"Love Won" - The song starts off with a very classical feel, with a piano and strings intro. The song has a great buildup to the chorus. Lauren is the featured vocalist on this song, and she does a great job with it. 

"Make Way for the Master" - This is another song penned by Brian. He explains a bit about the inspiration for the song in this clip. I remember Brian from his days with Tribute Quartet, and I think he's improved vocally since then. This is one of my favorites of the project! Great song and great message! 

"Broken World" - I love this song lyrically. It does seem to be a continuation from the "Broken Ones." The song is a great reminder that we don't have to endure the brokenness of this world for long! It's another great vocal performance from Lauren.

"Every Scar" - The song features Roger and really fits his voice nicely. I like the concept of the song that talks about not only our scars but also the scars of Christ.

"Talk to the Lord About It" - Debra's alto voice shines through on this song. It's a great uptempo number that really stands out on this project with mostly slower tempo songs. The song has a little bit of "Just a Little Talk with Jesus" at the end that I really like.

"Up Above" - This is another great number that really features Brian and Lauren's voices. Both deliver stunning vocals on this song.

"Surely" - I think I tend to gravitate toward the uptempo numbers, and this one is no exception. I really love the Talleys' version of this song. I got to hear them sing this at their concert in Little Rock. I think it could be another uptempo hit for them!

"Great Love He Gave" - This song features Debra and Lauren. It's got a great Easter message. Debra's recitation in the middle of the song gives it a nice touch. I also like the chorus of the "Christ Arose" added toward the end of the song.

"The Church Will Overcome" - After seeing some of the clips of the Talleys in the studio working on this project, this song was one I was looking forward to the most. It's a great uptempo number that really allows Brian to show off the soulful side of his voice.

"How Deep the Father's Love For Us" -  I love this song, and really enjoy their version of it. It has some really nice harmony parts. I think vocally it's one of the strongest songs that really shows off all parts.

"That's Why I Love Him So" - This is a song that Brian previously sang with the Tribute Quartet. I do prefer this version to Tribute's version. Brian co-wrote this song as well.

"Love Conquers All" - This is a beautiful song that features Lauren. It is a great song lyrically that reminds us of the power of God's love for us. It's a great song to close the project titled "Love Won."

Brian's addition to the group adds so much not only vocally but also in his songwriting with him having written or co-written several songs on the project. There is a lack of uptempo numbers, but the overall song selection makes up for it. In my opinion, this is one of the strongest projects for the Talleys to date.

My personal favorites - "The Church Will Overcome," "Make Way for the Master," "Broken World," "How Deep the Father's Love For Us" and "Surely"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!