Thursday, February 9, 2012

Morgan Easter - "Not Without Love"


Morgan Easter's solo record, "Not Without Love," came out on November 11, 2011. I think it's an incredible project and even though it's a couple of months old, I think it's definitely review-worthy. Better late than never, right? 

I have been a huge Jeff and Sheri Easter fan for a long time. I was really excited when Morgan stepped into the role of the third part. It seemed only natural that she would move into that role even at 14. She has grown so much as a singer in the past few years. "Not Without Love" is a great testimony to what a great singer she has become. 

The songs on the album fit Morgan so well and really show off her vocal abilities. Many times young singers try to sing songs that don't seem to fit where they are in life and then don't really come across as believable coming from a teenager. "Not Without Love is definitely an exception. The song choices on this album are incredible. 

I love that it's a family thing. Looking at the album credits the whole family was involved. Jeff, Sheri, Madison and Shannon all sing either as featured or background vocalists. Sheri sings with Morgan on "Like My Mother Does" and wrote "Either Way." Madison wrote "Just Keep Holding On" and sings the second verse. When I first heard the song, I had no idea that it was him. I have heard Madison sing during Jeff and Sheri concerts before, but I think that he does such a great job vocally on this song, it really showcases him.  Shannon, Madison's wife, wrote "Lemonade" and sings background vocals on it. It's a great song that plays on common sayings and cliches. 

Wes Hampton and Joseph Habedank also sing with Morgan on the album. Joseph, along with Matthew Holt, wrote "Dreaming Wide Awake," a song Joseph sings with her. Ricky Free and Jimmy Yeary also wrote a couple of songs each.


Other standout points for me:

God Knows What He's Doing (written by Jimmy Yeary) - When I first heard this song via the online stream of NQC, I loved it! It's not only such a great, uptempo song for Morgan that showcases her voice, but it's a great reminder of how God is in control of our lives. He knows exactly where we are and what's best for us. This is definitely my favorite song on the project, and I think it's the first single. 

Like My Mother Does - I think this was another great choice for the album. It was released by Lauren Alaina of "American Idol" fame. Sheri sings on the second verse, and it just seems to fit them and their mother-daughter relationship so well.

Either Way (written by Sheri Easter) - This is such a great song. The first lyric grabs you about the phone call that can change your life, and having heard Sheri's testimony you can tell she was writing from real-life experiences. It's a reminder that whatever happens, it will all work out in the end. Either way it will be OK.

Broken - This is the song that Morgan sings with Wes Hampton. I love the end of this song. There is a sweet tenderness that comes out in her voice as she sings about being broken.

Looking Up (written by Ricky Free) - The chorus of this song is so catchy. It will get stuck in your head, and that's a good thing. Again it's got a great message, and fits Morgan incredibly lyrically and vocally.

I definitely recommend this album! This is a great project for not only Jeff and Sheri Easter and Morgan fans, but anyone who needs a little encouragement. Each song has a great message and really helps to uplift believers.

Song List:
1. "Not Without Love" 2. "God Knows What He's Doing" 3. "Like My Mother Does" 4. "Just Keep Holding On" 5. "Either Way" 6. "Broken" 7. "He's Going Places" 8. "Lemonade" 9. "Looking Up" 10. "Dreaming Wide Awake"

1 comment:

  1. I just got this album and it's truly fantastic. If you've seen Morgan as she's grown up, you'll see she how much she's really matured in the past few years. I have to agree that God Knows What He's Doing is one of my favorites. I also love Broken that she sung with Wes Hampton... (wow). Every time you listen you'll find a new favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!