Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Dove Award Nominees

The 43rd Gospel Music Association Dove Award nominations were announced this morning. Jason Crabb leads all nominations with eight.

When I saw the nominees for the top Dove awards, I thought Southern Gospel was represented well. Last year, Jason Crabb took home Song of the Year for "Sometimes I Cry." Both Jason Crabb and Triumphant Quartet were nominated for this honor. This year four Southern Gospel songs are nominated for the award: "Celebrate Me Home" (Perrys), "I've Been Here Before" (Ernie Haase and Signature Sound), "Please Forgive Me" (Gaither Vocal Band) and "Who Am I" (Jason Crabb). It's interesting that last year's singer and songwriter nominated again, but split up with different songs. The most pleasant surprise for me was the nomination of the Perrys! Very deserving, glad to see this nomination!!

Jason Crabb is nominated for both Male Artist of the Year and Artist of the Year. Last year, Janet Pascal was nominated for Female Vocalist, but this year there's no Southern Gospel representation for this category. The nominee list was shortened this year from seven to five, however, for both male and female categories.

For Group of the Year, the Gaither Vocal Band and the Isaacs are both nominated. The Isaacs are also nominated for Artist of the Year, which to me was another pleasant surprise! Beyond the Ashes is nominated for New Artist of the Year.

Nominees include:

Southern Gospel Album of the Year:
  • A Lifetime of Music (John Hagee)
  • Miracles & Memories (Bowling Family)
  • Part of the Family (Collingsworth Family)
  • Reach Out (Karen Peck and New River)
  • The Song Lives On (Jason Crabb)
No surprise to see Jason Crabb nominated, and I expected to see the Collingsworth Family also. I was really hoping that Karen Peck and New River would be nominated in this category. Reach Out was my favorite album of last year! Also, I was surprised to see the Bowling Family nominated in this category; this live CD is great. Another surprise to me was John Hagee's album, which I haven't heard.

Southern Gospel Recorded Song of the Year:
  • "Celebrate Me Home" (The Perrys)
  • "If There Ever Was a Time (Crabb Family)
  • "I've Been Here Before" (Ernie Haase and Signature Sound)
  • "Please Forgive Me" (Gaither Vocal Band)
  • "Victory in Jesus" (John Hagee) 
It's interesting that Jason Crabb who is nominated for Song of the Year doesn't pick up an individual nomination in this category. The other songs up for Song of the Year are nominated. But that would mean he would be competing with himself I guess! Glad to see the Crabb Family song make the list.

Country Album of the Year:
  • Brighter One (Marshall Hall)
  • Dreamin' Wide Awake (Doug Anderson)
  • Family Ties (Wilburn & Wilburn)
  • Going Places (Crabb Revival)
  • New Day (The Martins)
Confession: I haven't heard the complete albums for most of these. But I was glad to see Wilburn & Wilburn pick up a nomination on their debut album. I'm also a big fan of the Martins' new project.

Country Recorded Song of the Year:
  • "Dreamin' Wide Awake" (Doug Anderson)
  • "Good Things Are Happening" (Karen Peck and New River)
  • "I Get To" (Jeff and Sheri Easter)
  • "Pray About Everything" (Guy Penrod)
  • "Why Me" (Jason Crabb) 
Was glad to see Karen Peck and New River pick up a nomination in this category, but kinda surprised by the song. I think Jeff and Sheri's "I Get To" is such a fitting nomination for this category, great country song.

Other notable nominations:

Wes Hampton and Russ Taff both picked up nominations in the Inspirational Album of the Year category for A Man Like Me and Faroe Islands respectively.

The Martins for "I Surrender" and Doug Anderson for "I'll Take What's Left" are both nominated for Inspirational Recorded Song of the Year.

"I Saw the Light" by Jason Crabb was nominated in the category of Traditional Gospel Recorded Song of the Year. Jason Crabb picked up another nomination for Contemporary Gospel Recorded Song of the Year for "I'd Rather Have Jesus." Beyond the Ashes also was nominated in this category for "What I Have I Give."

For Bluegrass Recorded Song of the Year, "Mama's Teaching Angels How to Sing" (The Isaacs) and "Precious Memories" (Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver) received nominations.

Wayne Haun and Michael Sykes are both nominated for Producer of the Year. It seems that Wayne Haun had his hand on a lot of this year's nominated projects.

In the Long Form Music Video of the Year, the Collingsworth Family earned a nomination for Fear Not Tomorrow. Tent Revival Homecoming by Bill and Gloria Gaither and Homecoming Friends and The Song Lives On from Jason Crabb also received nominations.

Am I missing any other notable nominations? What were surprises for you? Who were you glad to see nominated?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!