Thursday, August 23, 2018

2018 Southern Gospel Picnic Day One - Showers of Blessing

The first day of the 2018 Southern Gospel Picnic at Silver Dollar City. If you've read my blog in previous years, you know this is an event I look forward to every year. It's the event that really drew me into the music and enabled me to see many of my favorite artists live for the first time.

The groups I saw on park today were - Jim Brady Trio, the Perrys, Southern Raised and the Isaacs. After tonight, I'm adding the Isaacs to the list of groups I've sat in the rain to watch. I feel like that list grows each year, but it was well worth it. Here are highlights from each group - 


Jim Brady Trio
  • "Calvary" - This is a song from their brand new project that Melissa wrote. It's such a powerful song that I feel like is going to become a staple in their sets.
  • "Sounds Like Home To Me" - They repeated the chorus a cappella on this one and it was amazing!!
  • "The Greatest of All Miracles" - I love to hear Melissa sing this song! This is one of my all-time favorites
  • "Little Things" - This was another new one that Jim wrote in honor of his dad. This was a great song that Jim sang and played guitar on. The previews of their new project I got today made me really excited to hear this full album!
  • "Homesick of Heaven"

The Perrys
  • It was good to hear them go back and do a few songs from Through the Night - "One of Those Mornings" and "I Got a Hold of God This Morning."
  • "Did I Mention"
  • "Damascus Road" - This is always a fun one to see and hear live!
  • "If You Knew Him"
  • "Find Me Faithful" - Libbi gave a little bit of testimony before this song sharing about how you have to choose joy daily after all they have been through this year. 

Southern Raised
  • "Glorious Day"
  • "Amazing Grace"
  • I have only seen this group a few times, but their talent amazes me every time from vocals to their playing ability.

The Isaacs

Of course right before the Echo Hollow show, the heavens open and rain comes down. It had been raining off and on during the day, but when the shows are inside it doesn't affect you as when you have to sit in it. Thankfully, the rain never got very hard and it did clear up for most of the show. 
  • Their new project features some newly recorded favorite songs, so it was good to hear some of those live again - "I Have a Father Who Can," "By His Stripes" and "
  • "From the Depths of My Heart"
  • "I'm Gonna Love You Through It" - I remember them debuting this song at Silver Dollar City several years ago. Lily read the excerpt from her book of when she found out she had cancer and how her family was there for her. Love this song and thankful it's gotten some recent new life on social media.
  • "Stand Still" - I've always been a big fan of this song, but the message just really hit home tonight.
  • "Walk On"
  • "It Is Well With My Soul" - Love hearing this sing this a capella! Definitely the moment of the night!
  • "He Ain't Never Done Me Nothing But Good"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!