Monday, August 27, 2018

2018 Southern Gospel Picnic at Silver Dollar City - Day 5

Today was a day I've been looking forward to for a while. With the promise of America's largest hymn sing, it was an event not to be missed! But before the evening's service, I got the chance to see three other groups on park - the Whisnants, 2nd Generation and the New Speer Family. Here are highlights from the day and night.


The Whisnants

  • "He's Never Moved"
  • "Should Have Been Three" - I don't think I'd ever heard them sing this one live. This featured Austin, Ethan and Jeff. Great song!
  • "Faithful" - This was another one I hadn't really heard live. Aaron does a great job on this song. 
  • "All Is Well" - One of my all-time favorite Whisnant songs! So glad I got to hear Susan sing it this morning. 
  • "I'll Pray for You"
  • "I'm Trusting the Blood" - I'm glad they sang this one. Such a powerful song!
  • "New Day Dawning"

2nd Generation
  • "One More River" 
  • "He Will Come Through" - I don't remember hearing Brenda sing this one live before. Such an incredibly powerful song, loved hearing her on this one!
  • "Waving on the Other Side" - Always a treat to hear Randy featured on this song! 
  • "Faithful As You" - Elaine was featured on this one. I had been a while since I had heard this one live. What a great message!

New Speer Family

This was my first time hearing this group in person, and understandably so considering they have really only been touring a month. This group sounds amazing together! It is pure Southern Gospel. 

  • "Heaven's Jubilee"
  • "I Feel It in My Soul"
  • "I'm Building a Bridge" - Ben Waites was featured on this song and what a voice!!
  • "He Is Mine and I Am His" - Loved hearing Allison sing this one! One of the highlights of the day!
  • "I Never Shall Forget the Day"

Hymn Sing

This was the event we had all been looking forward to! And what a night it was - one I will not soon forget. We had more than 4,000 voices singing outside hymns for about 1.5 hours. The groups participating were Greater Vision, Mark Trammell Quartet, the Whisnants and the Mylon Hayes Family.

It was such a sweet, sweet time of worship. It's hard not to list every song as a highlight, because every song we sang was a great one - "Victory in Jesus," "Blessed Assurance," "Heaven Came Down and Glory Filled My Soul, "Wonderful Grace of Jesus, "Rock of Ages," and on and on. It was hard not to stop singing and listen throughout the night.

Chris Allman and Mark Trammell backed up Sandi Payton as she played and sang "I Must Tell Jesus." We sang "Jesus Paid It All" and Gerald had the balcony level sing for the main level and then the main level sing for the balcony. It was so sweet to hear all those voices just a cappella.

Here's a clip of the night of "His Eye Is on the Sparrow" and "It Is Well," my favorite hymn of the night -




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!