Thursday, May 25, 2017

Thankful - Triumphant Quartet - CD Review

Triumphant Quartet released Thankful last month. This is the group's third release with StowTown Records. The quartet proves why they continue to be the fan favorite in the industry with this release. Triumphant Quartet is one of the most consistent groups in the business not only with the lineup but also with their own sound we have all come to love.

The project starts with the worship song "We Welcome Your Holy Spirit." It's a nice song that features a snippet from "Sweet, Sweet Spirit." I thought it was a nice touch.

"Chain Breaker" is the next song and the first single. I've already heard this song quite a bit on the radio and wouldn't be surprised to see it at the top of the charts soon. The song was originally done by Zach Williams, but I really prefer Triumphant's version. The quartet sound works really well with this song. Scotty does a great job on the verses.

Thankful has 11 songs, five of which were written by baritone Scotty Inman. It's no surprise that he's been listed as a top five songwriter for the last couple of years. The first one on the project is "God Will Always Be God" also featuring Scotty. The message is simple but always a needed reminder. "The Cross Is All the Proof I Need" is the next one. The song features Clayton and David. I love the arrangement and how the song builds for a powerful ending.

Eric is featured on "One Happy Man," a song that tells the story of a man's funeral from a rather interesting perspective. It's his funeral but knowing the life he lived and where he is now, he's one "happy man." However, my favorite feature of his is "Bottom of the Barrel." It's a fun uptempo song with some nice brass in the background.

"Thankful, So Thankful" is definitely a favorite for me and one of the more upbeat songs. It picks up the pace with a little bit of a banjo and bluegrass. "Never Assume" is another uptempo song that will make you tap your foot along but also might step on a few toes as well. The song reminds us to always be a witness to others around us, because we never know when we need to be ready to share Jesus with those around us.

David has the solo on the Kirk Talley-penned "I Know Him." This is a great ballad; I love the hook of the song, I know Him, but best of all He knows me. I love David's smooth vocals on this song.

Clayton has a great feature on "Grace and Mercy." It's a great traditional church song with the organ backing them up. The last song "My God Called Me This Morning" has a soulful, black gospel sound that's a cappella. It really showcases the great blend these guys have.

Triumphant continues to show why they have been the top quartet in the industry with Thankful. The project has a number of songs that I could see as chart-toppers for the group. The project does have a number of slower songs, but with the strength of each song on the album I don't really mind it. It's a CD you must add to your collection!


Song that will take you to church - "Grace and Mercy"
Songs to turn up - "Bottom of the Barrel" and "Thankful, So Thankful"
Song to put on repeat - "Chain Breaker"
Song to give a second listen - "I Know Him"


Song List -
1. "We Welcome Your Holy Spirit"
2. "Chain Breaker"
3. "God Will Always Be God"
4. "The Cross Is All the Proof I Need"
5. "One Happy Man"
6. "Thankful, So Thankful"
7. "I Know Him"
8. "Never Assume"
9. "Grace and Mercy"
10. "Bottom of the Barrel"
11. "My God Called Me This Morning"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!