Monday, March 18, 2013

2013 Singing News Fan Awards Top 10

The Top 10 nominations for the Singing News Fan Awards were announced last week. In recent years, the awards have been pretty predictable, no big surprises. A number of other blogs have already covered the nominations and the differences between this year and last. While there are not usually surprises when it comes to the awards themselves, I did think that this year there were a couple of surprises in the top 10. Here are my thoughts on some of the differences:

Favorite Artist - I was a little surprised to see the Hoppers and Legacy Five fall out of the top 10, but not surprised to see the Collingsworth Family and Mark Trammell Quartet added.

Favorite Trio - Red Roots was an unexpected addition this year.

Favorite Male Singer - Mark Trammell was there in 2012 but not this year, he's definitely one of the best in the business!

Favorite Bass and Lead - I found it funny that the groups whose singers were nominated didn't really change, just the personnel.

Favorite Soprano - I was so glad to see Kelly Bowling nominated this year!!

Album - One of the biggest oversights in the nominations was the Talleys' Love Won not being on the list! It's definitely one of the best projects of 2012. Also I was surprised that Jeff and Sheri Easter's Eyes Wide Open didn't make it, it was one of my personal favorites. The same goes for Karen Peck's solo album.

New Soloist - I'll confess I haven't heard of several of these.

This doesn't really have to do with nominations, but I was a little disappointed that the Singing News got rid of the Horizon Individual category. There's now not a way to recognize individuals who have joined an established group. Some of them would fit into Young Artist but many have aged out.

What did you think? What nominations stood out to you or surprised you?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!