Thursday, December 7, 2017

Quartet Tribute - Tribute Quartet - CD Review

Tribute Quartet released its Quartet Tribute (say that five times fast :)) in October. The project pays tribute to well-known quartet songs over the years. I enjoyed hearing several of these songs live at the National Quartet Convention.

I really like that it's not just the classic quartet songs that they chose but also a few by that you may not be as familiar with like "His Tomb Is Empty Now" and "Hold On (Jesus Will Come)," or at least I wasn't. The group even chose a mixed quartet song like "Every Question Will Be Answered." I think the song selection of the project is spot on.

Don't expect this to be a "table project" for the group. It's production value is top-notch with Gerald Wolfe producing.

Most of the songs recorded don't stray far from the original versions of the songs, but you don't really expect them to either with this type of project.

While I do love the unique song selection, I did find myself gravitating toward their versions of some of the more usual suspects for quartet songs. Riley on "Hide Thou Me" is a standout track on the project. "Over the Moon" is not typically one of my favorite songs, but I also really enjoyed their version of this song. "I'm Standing on the Solid Rock" and "Come on Let's Go to That Land" are both great uptempo quartet songs that I'm glad they chose to include!

Don't miss the ones that you might not be as familiar with though! "Hold On (Jesus Will Come)" starts out with a very soulful, churchy feel. As someone not familiar with the original versions, I really loved Tribute's take on this song and felt like it was a great introduction to the song to new listeners. "His Tomb Is Empty Now" is a great midtempo song and really shows off Gary's lead vocals.

I think one of the best things about this album is that it's Volume 1, so there's more to come from Tribute Quartet's Quartet Tribute.


Song List -
1. "I'm Standing on the Solid Rock"
2. "Over the Moon"
3. "Every Question Will Be Answered"
4. "His Tomb Is Empty"
5. "Come on Let's Go to That Land"
6. "Hide Thou Me"
7. "Move That Mountain"
8. "What a Meeting in the Air"
9. "I've Been With Jesus (And I'm So Happy)"
10. "Hold On (Jesus Will Come)"

1 comment:

  1. Delighted to read this review! I like the Tribute Quartet a lot, and have ordered this CD....it has shipped, so I'm anxious to hear it in person! I subscribe to the Live and On Demand NQC, and have been watching all their performances there. Live in KY and go to concerts when I can. Thanks for writing positive thoughts and I'm glad I read this weeks post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!