Monday, December 4, 2017

2017 Christmas Releases

'Tis the season for Christmas music. If you are anything like me, Christmas music actually started about a month ago. I'm not a wait until after Thanksgiving kind of person.

If you are looking for some new music to add to your collection this year, several artists have released new Christmas projects. Here's a closer look at these albums -

The Perrys - A Very Perry Christmas

The Perrys released their first Christmas project in the history of the group. The project has many traditional songs along with a few fun expected ones like "Mele Kalilimaka." Libbi's rendition of "Silver Bells" and Andrew's version of "O Holy Night" are not to be missed!

I really enjoyed "Silver and Gold" that featured Troy. It's not a song that overdone, so I was glad to see this one make the cut. Another highlight is "We Need a Silent Night/ Silent Night." It's a nice mix of a new song with a Christmas classic. "Love Is Alive Forever" is a old Poet Voices song that I was not familiar with. It's not super Christmasy; however, I think it's a great addition to this album. I really liked that this project didn't have a lot of the standard Christmas songs, but really offers listeners something different with song selection.


Doug Anderson - Back Porch Christmas

Back Porch Christmas is a collection of eight Christmas songs. I'll be honest the opening song and title track just made me laugh because the lyrics are so true to life for what many of our family Christmases look like. It's a great song that I'm sure I'm not the only one who will relate to it.

This project also offers listeners a variation from your typical Christmas songs. "I'll Be Home for Christmas" is the probably the most recognized song. I love all the new Christmas songs. Most of the songs are Christ-centered. I love how these songs make you think about the story we are all so familiar with in different ways. "When I Think of Bethlehem" is not a song to be missed! "Christmas in Heaven" is sweet song that can make the holidays a little more bearable when thinking about the loved ones no longer with us. The highlight of the project for me is "The Manger and the Cross,"


Roger Talley - Christmas Piano Classics

If you don't already have your tree up, this is the perfect project to turn on while you are decking the halls. The first half has a lot of your secular favorites like "Silver Bells," "The Christmas Song" and "I'll Be Home for Christmas" while the second half has more of our church favorites. You'll find traditional carols like "Silent Night" and "The First Noel" as well as "Do You Hear What I Hear."

Roger Talley is known for his arrangements and this album is no exception. I love the tracks where he's meshed two songs like "O Come, O Come Emmanuel/ O Come Let Us Adore Him" and "We Need a Little Christmas/ It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas."


High Road - Wonder

This is an EP of six Christmas songs. It starts out with "I Wonder as I Wander," which has a nice classic, almost Celtic feel. "The Night Before Christmas" has a more country feel. It sounds familiar but I can't find that it's a previously recorded song. "Let Us Not Forget" is another great country-flavored song that reminds us what Christmas should really be about. It's my favorite song on the project.

They also have a great version of "O Holy Night" with a simple piano arrangement. The group included two instrumental songs on the project "For the Beauty of the Earth" and "Winter Wonderland."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!