Saturday, September 30, 2017

Saturday Night - National Quartet Convention

Well, NQC 2017 has now come to an end. Since I first discovered gospel music as a teenager, I heard about the National Quartet Convention and how it was a "must" event for gospel music fans. It's been a "bucket list" item for a while for me, and this week I got to check it off. It's truly been an incredible week. I've gotten to attend more than 42 hours of concerts during this week (and I didn't even go to everything!).

This morning's chapel was a hymn sing hosted by Gerald Wolfe and Dr. Tim Hill speaking. It was one of the most precious times of worship I've ever been a part of. The message was one of the best I've ever heard. This afternoon, we got to see a Dixie Melody Boys reunion and a tribute to the television show The Gospel Singing Jubilee.

Here's a look at highlights and commentary from tonight -

  • The reunions and tributes were my favorite sets of the night. The Gold City reunion featured Jay Parrack, Mark Trammell, Jonathan Wilburn and the one and only Tim Riley. The Perrys reunion went through the decades starting with the original Perry siblings - Libbi, Debra and Randy. They sang clips of all their hits through the decades. Then, the Nelons did a sweet tribute to Rex Nelon. They had Jason's dad, Dan Clark, singing bass for them. They all lived up to the hype!
  • Tribute and the Isaacs had the longer sets tonight. Tribute got to sing a lot from Here For You. Sonya (who hosted along with Scotty Inman tonight) got to give part of her testimony before singing "I Love You More."
  • The finale of the night featured #1 songs from eight different groups. Well, except for the Kingdom Heirs who were supposed to sing "Joys of Heaven" but there was a track issue. They ended up having Gerald Wolfe come up and play piano for them on "I Know He Heard My Prayer." This ended up being such a great moment!

Key Performances -

  • "I'd Rather Have Jesus" - The Blackwood Brothers featuring Michael Helwig
  • "Scars in the Hands of Jesus" - Diplomats
  • "When He Calls I'll Fly Away" - Gold City Reunion
  • "Every Cry Is Heard" - Jim Brady Trio
  • "Jesus Saves" - Tribute Quartet
  • "I Wish I Could Have Been There" - The Perrys Reunion
  • "Just When You Thought" - Joseph Habedank
  • "Damascus Road" - Kingdom Heirs
  • "He Is Mine and I Am His" - The Hoppers
  • "I Love You More" - The Isaacs
  • "It's Almost Over" - The Mark Trammell Quartet
  • "Oh, For a Thousand Tongues" - The Nelons
  • "Then Came The Morning" - Ernie Haase & Signature Sound
  • "Til the Storm Passes By" - Greater Vision



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!