Saturday, September 29, 2018

2018 National Quartet Convention - Saturday Night Recap

I was back watching tonight for the final night of singing. The schedule overall ran early which allowed for Bill Bailey a little leniency. It was good that he asked a few artists back on stage for one more song or asked them to repeat a chorus of a previous song.



Highlights and Commentary - 

  • I missed seeing the Kingsmen earlier in the week, so this was my first look at the new lineup. Thought they are sounding good together already!
  • It's always fun to see who artists might pull up to join them during their sets. Lauren Talley joined Mark Bishop during his set for "With Me Always." The Erwins had a full choir from First Baptist Sevierville with them during their set. 
  • The stretch from the Kingdom Heirs to the Whisnants was some of the best singing of the week in my opinion.
  • I'm sad that Second Half Quartet will not be making appearances anymore (though I certainly understand why). They are quartet singing at its finest.
  • I liked how they worked in the power hour artists into the program tonight. I wish that could be done every night.
  • I wish the finale tonight had been different. I get that they wanted to do something different than the typical #1 parade of songs (which I do love every year). However, the thing that separates this music from everything else is that at the center is Jesus. I wish the culmination of the week had not been focused on America but on Jesus. 


Favorite Performances - 

  • "In the House of the Lord" - The Erwins
  • "Saints Will Rise" - The Kingsmen
  • "What An Anchor" - Mylon Hayes Family 
  • "Until You've Known the Love of God" - Greater Vision
  • "Midnight Cry" - Jonathan Wilburn
  • "Heaven Just Got Sweeter For You" - Kingdom Heirs
  • "The Broken Ones" - The Talleys
  • "Going Home" - Second Half Quartet
  • "That Sounds Like Home to Me" - Jim Brady Trio
  • "The Greatest of All Miracles" - Jim Brady Trio
  • "Nothing Stops the Savior's Love" - Tribute Quartet
  • "I'll Pray for You" - The Whisnants

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!