Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Thursday Night - Memphis Quartet Show - Concert Recap

Thursday was a full day of gospel music. The concert that night kicked off at 6 p.m. and ended
several hours later. I confess I slipped out just a little early because I had to be back at work the next morning! Each of the six groups sang about 30 minutes during the first half and then came back out for about 15 minutes each in the second half.

The six groups that sang that night were

  • Tribute Quartet
  • Dixie Echoes
  • The Old Paths
  • Archie Watkins and Smoky Mountain Reunion
  • Primitive Quartet
  • Mark Trammell Quartet
Of the six groups, I hadn't seen two of them live before, Smoky Mountain Reunion and the Primitive Quartet. It was a good lineup of some great quartet singing! Here are some of my thoughts on the night and standout moments - 

Tribute Quartet
  • This group was the perfect choice to get the night started! They had a great energy to get the crowd going!
  • "I Will Rise" - I just love this song every time! Such a powerful song!!
  • "Good News from Jerusalem" - Always a crowd favorite, and great way to end their set!
Dixie Echoes
  • This was my first chance to hear Chandler Johnson on bass and WOW! This young man can hold his own at the bass part with the seasoned veterans of the group. He is incredible!
  • "Crumbs From the Table" - I always enjoy hearing Scoot sing this song.
Smoky Mountain Reunion
  • "God Is Still On the Throne" - Their a cappella version of this song was a definite highlight!
  • It was good to hear them sing some of the classics like "Jesus Is Coming Soon" and "Unseen Hand."
The Old Paths
  • The response for The Old Paths was awesome! The crowd really loved this group and wanted to show them the love since it would be their last time at the Memphis Quartet Show. They also got the first standing ovation of the night.
  • "I Bowed on my Knees" - I'm so glad that I got to hear Tim sing this song! He does a fantastic job on this song!
  • It was neat to hear the audience's response as songs started for some of their hits like "Love Them To Jesus" and "God's Great." They really made their last appearance a memorable one!
Primitive Quartet
  • "My Hope Is in the Blood" - They sang this in tribute to Norman Wilson. It was a touching moment and a great way to honor him!
  • "He Looked Beyond My Fault" - They did this as an instrumental. It was definitely a standout moment of their set!
Mark Trammell Quartet
  • "God's Been Faithful" - This has become one of my top favorite songs that they sing! Great message, and love to hear them sing it!
  • "Your Walk Talks" - The audience loves this song. Always gets a great response!
  • "I Want to Know" - In one of the classiest moves I've seen, they pulled Pat Barker on stage to sing this with them. Someone requested this song during the matinee, but they didn't have the track. Randy Byrd said that he is one of Pat's biggest fans, and it was only fitting that Pat come up and sing his signature song. It was great hearing Pat sing this song again, and I was so impressed with the way they handled it! 

I hate that I was only there for one day, but glad that I got to make the quick trip. I think this event is really becoming a favorite of gospel fans. Hopefully next year I can see more of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!