Wednesday, October 11, 2017

What's Not to Love - Mark Lowry - CD Review

Mark Lowry released his most solo CD in August. This is Mark's second solo release with Daywind Records. The project features five songs that Mark co-wrote. The majority of the songs are from the pens of Reba Rambo-McGuire and Dony McGuire.

I think sometimes we think about comedian Mark Lowry but forget about what an incredible voice he has. This CD reminds us 

"Why Don't We Sit and Talk" opens the album. This song has a great soulful feel. It's a fun song and really speeds up and takes you for a ride at the end.

The Gaither Vocal Band joins Mark on "What's Not to Love." The song is second on the album and then reprises as the last song.

"Love Is the Golden Rule" is a great song. Interestingly enough Michael English recorded the same song on his solo project (it's also the title cut). The song paints such an accurate picture of where we are in the world today. It's a song that everyone needs to be reminded of. "No Room for Hate" is the next song and really follows that same idea. Both were co-written by Chip Davis, who had four cuts on the project.

"What if He Meant What He Said" is one of those songs we all need to just sit and ponder on. It's the type of song that really challenges all of us as Christians. We all know the words of Jesus, but do we really consider that He meant what He said?

"Mama Prayed" is a sweet tribute to Mark's mother. I'm sure most of us have mothers or women in our lives that this song will make us think of.

"Feels Like I'm Already There" is stylistically different from most of the other songs. It has a beautiful and heartfelt message. It's another one from the McGuires along with Jimmy Yeary. When we feel at our end, it's His power we can rely on.

I was familiar with the Dunaways' version of "Didn't I Walk on the Water." I've always been a fan of this song and I love Mark's version of this song.

"Only Jesus" reminds me of the "Untitled Hymn" style wise. This is one of my favorite songs on the project. It's a reminder that He is enough, only Jesus can truly satisfy and be what we need. 

Song to Turn Up - "What's Not to Love"
Songs to Give a Second Listen - "What if He Meant What He Said" and "Only Jesus"
Song That Will Take You to Church - "Didn't I Walk on the Water"



Song List -
1. "Why Don't We Sit and Talk"
2. "What's Not to Love"
3. "I Know When I'm Hearing From Home"
4. "Love Is the Golden Rule"
5. "No Room for Hate"
6. "What if He Meant What He Said"
7. "So You Will Know How to Pray"
8. "Mama Prayed"
9. "Feels Like I'm Already There"
10. "Didn't I Walk on the Water"
11. "Only Jesus"
12. "What's Not to Love?" (Reprise)

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I have been reading your reviews for a while now but recently decided to start commenting on them. I enjoyed this one, as I have your other reviews! Keep up the great work! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!