Monday, December 16, 2013

2013 Top Songs of the Year

With the end of the year quickly approaching, the year-end recaps and "top" lists are abundant. Today, I'm looking at the top songs of 2013. My top songs list is done a little differently. Like last year, I'm looking at the top five of the songs that went to #1 on the charts during 2013. I'm selecting what I think are the best from those 12 songs. So here they are -


5. "Calvary's Cry" (Brian Free & Assurance)/ "Good News From Jerusalem" (Tribute Quartet) - Yes, it's a tie. Sometimes I can be bad at making decisions, don't judge me. :) Southern Gospel music is nothing without the message of the cross and the resurrection. Both of these songs speak to the core of who we are as Christians. "Calvary's Cry" has such a powerful message of the cross and its invitation for salvation. "Good News From Jerusalem" has been a break-through song for Tribute Quartet. It's a fun upbeat song but lyrically it's also dynamite.


4. "I Got a Hold of God This Morning (Perrys) - The message of the song is simple, but executed so well by the Perrys. There's something to be said about a song that is simply about getting up in the morning and spending time with God. This song was named Song of the Year at the Singing News Fan Awards. When we focus on Him and approach Him through prayer, whatever we may be facing He will take care of and help us through it.


3. "Praise You in This Valley" (Browders) - The Browders are a group to keep your eye on in the coming year. This was one of two #1s they had this year. In the valleys of life, it's easy to question and doubt. The song reaffirms the fact that God has a plan and knows what's best even in the tough times of life. We can praise Him even in the middle of a valley.


2. "I Want to Be That Man" (Brian Free & Assurance) - This song might be my favorite Brian Free & Assurance song. It's such a great challenge to men specifically but also to all of us Christians to think about the legacy we leave behind. We want to be remembered as being ones who loved the Lord with all our hearts. Brian Free is known for his great ballad songs, and I have a feeling this will be one to stand the test of time.


1. "All Is Well" (Whisnants) - I talked about this song last week as one of the top moments of the year. Melissa Brady is the writer of the song. The thing I love about this song is how applicable it is. No matter what we are going through, we can learn to say "all is well" because God has it under control. In the little rough patches to the traumatic storms, God is still God, and He never fails. The song's message is timeless, and very well done by the Whisnants. To me, it's the #1 song of 2013.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!