Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Nothing But Good - Day 11 Recap of Silver Dollar City's Southern Gospel Picnic

Monday night was the last night of the festival. Unfortunately I had to go back to the real world on Tuesday, so I'm a little late getting up the recap of Monday. No more vacation or days filled with Southern Gospel concerts. :(

I was able to catch Old Paths a couple of times on Monday afternoon. I saw this group for the first time last year at the festival and was extremely impressed. They sang both of their #1 songs, "Battle Stand" and "God's Great." Daniel Ashmore, their bass singer, really stood out to me! He was featured on a song called, "I Wanna Get Closer," I think.

They also let lead sing Tim Rackley and tenor singer Jeremy Peace really step into the spotlight and shine as well. Tim sang the classic, "I Bowed on my Knees and Cried Holy," and really made it his own! While he was bowing, the audience was on its feet applauding. Then, Jeremy did the tenor classic, "O What a Savior," and had the audience on its feet as well!

I also really enjoyed the addition they had of live music on a couple of songs. They had a piano player throughout, but added drums and bass guitar and even Daniel played sax a little. The piano player is very talented and only 15 years old! I was very impressed! They ended the show with "Glory Road."

Next, I got the chance to catch the Diplomats. I had not seen them in several years, and it was good to see Harold Reed singing with them. To be honest, it had been so long since I had seen them, I really didn't remember that many specifics about seeing them before. They featured Joseph, the bass singer, on a couple of songs including "Lonesome Road."

I really enjoyed hearing Harold sing "Scars in the Hands of Jesus." I also had forgotten what a talented singer and musician Corey is! Lately, I've just remembered how funny he can be by watching his SocialCam videos!

Rita was featured on "This is Just What Heaven Means to Me," which was a highlight. They ended with "I Wouldn't Take Nothing for my Journey Now," which the crowd always enjoys!

The Isaacs had the task as they have for the last several years of closing the festival! It was good to hear them do several familiar favorites as well as songs off their latest project The Living Years that was just released like the title song and "Grandpa Tell Me About the Good Ole Days."

One of the highlights had to be Becky singing "Waiting in the Water!" She gave her testimony before she sang about having struggled with Crohn's disease and how God healed her. Her son Levi came out during the second half and sang and played with them! It was my first time seeing and hearing him on stage, and I have a feeling it will be far from his last with his talent!

It's always a treat to hear the Isaacs sing a cappella, and they closed the first half with "I Will Praise Him," and wow! It was absolutely beautiful!

I also loved them singing "I'm Gonna Love You Through It." Love that song! Martina does it great, but their original version is definitely my favorite. They also sang "Why Can't We," with an amazing a cappella reprise of the chorus!

They ended the night with "He Ain't Never Done Me Nothing But Good" with the entire audience of more than 4,000 on their feet clapping and singing along! Perfect way to end an incredible 11-day run!

The entire festival was nothing but good! I'll have one more post to summarize the festival and include some videos from it, so check back later this week!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!