Thursday, July 10, 2014

Martins - A cappella - CD Review

Few groups can pull off top-notch a cappella. The Martins are one of those groups. Their latest
project is all a cappella, and it shows off what incredible music this group is capable of. Siblings Joyce, Jonathan and Judy are better than ever on this release simply entitled A cappella.

The project has a great song selection, not one that I would have expected. You have the typical, more familiar hymns which I would expect to fill most of the album. It's not the case though. They did a great job of picking songs that you may not be as familiar with, a variety of styles and songs that you would not think about doing a cappella.

The crowning moment of the project has to be "Fairest Lord Jesus." The arrangement that the Martins pull off on this song is incredible! It is a must listen!! It will give you chills as the song builds, and the siblings show how much they are capable of with just their voices.

"The Prayer" is the second must listen. I love that they included this song, it's already one of my favorites. I don't think I had ever heard an a cappella version. I love the tender harmonies at the end. Absolutely beautiful!

"When I Go Away" is a great old spiritual song. The Martins add some finger-snapping to give it an extra pep. "Shut De Do/Three Little Birds" is another fun song. I had never heard this before, and I would say it's an unexpected song choice but a brilliant one. It's got a fun style to it. "If We Ever Needed the Lord Before, We Sure Do Need Him Now" is another fun one. This one will have you tapping your foot along.

"Let All Mortal Flesh" has a haunting sound to it, but it makes a good segue into the medley of hymns. I love the smoothness of this arrangement mixing "Come Thou Fount," "Fill My Cup, Lord" and "Spirit of the Living God." The medley is definitely another highlight for me.

The project closes with "You'll Never Walk Alone." Being raised on musicals, this was a fun inclusion for me being mostly familiar with the song from Carousel. The Martins take this song to church though making it their own.

The Martins haven't released an a cappella project in more than a decade, and this one was well worth the wait!

Song List -
1. "He's Everything to Me"
2. "When I Go Away"
3. "Fairest Lord Jesus"
4. "Praise to the Lord"
5. "Shut De Do/ Three Little Birds"
6. "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence"
7. "Come Thou Found of Every Blessing/ Fill My Cup, Lord/ Spirit of the Living God"
8. "The Prayer"
9. "If We Ever Needed the Lord Before We Sure Do Need Him Now"
10. "You'll Never Walk Alone"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the site and for commenting!